Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Source Control

Source control is something that I neglected for quite sometime due to some issues that I had a few years ago with using Microsoft Source Safe. I'd asked some fellas over at gamedev.org a little while ago about what they were using as I have plans to get some additional help with projects in the near future and was wanting to look into again.

After looking at some of their suggestions I decided on Subversion , and I finally downloaded it to the server and started working with it today. At first it was kind of a struggle because even though the documentation is pretty thorough, it leaves out some important details. It seemed no matter what phrases I was typing into google, I couldn't find any other documentation.

It wasn't until I entered the phrase subversion walkthrough that I actually found some sites that help me get it up and working. Mainly Video How To: Getting Started with Subversion and Source Control was what I looked towards for some straight forward answers. It's a really well made tutorial for anyone looking to start using subversion on windows and it also introduced me to the GUI command tool Tortoise which is way better then simply using the command line interfaces.

I'm pretty happy with the experience so far, and am glad that I can now have access to things remotely as well. Now to actually get some coding done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I should also mention the SVN Book if you haven't found it already. It's helped me many a time, from reminding me of a particular command to some much more advanced topics.

Glad to hear you're finally using source control though! It won't be long before you'll want automated builds and automated testing, and a continuous integration server...